As the first full week of classes concludes, I can’t help but reflect on our positive beginning together. Students have been optimistic and enthusiastic; teachers have been cheerful and collaborative; and parents have been supportive and trusting. All of these essential ingredients are crucial to ensure the best possible year of learning.
It has been a pleasure to welcome the newest members of our school community – students, parents and staff – this September. We are glad you are with us and we pledge to do our utmost to make the year productive and memorable. We understand that it always takes a little time to feel fully “at home” in a new school. We hope that – with the help of our long-standing families, teachers and students – our newest members will quickly experience the mutual support offered by our small family school. Last night’s “Welcome Back BBQ” was a wonderful occasion for doing just that. Thank you to our Director of Student Learning, Alana Hepworth, for coordinating this annual social event!
As we begin the term, I speak on behalf of our team of teachers by sharing some of the beliefs we share that will matter most this year.
We believe that…
- It is people, not programs, that determine the quality of a school.
- Clear and consistent expectations for our students and ourselves are essential.
- As teachers, we are agents for a positive classroom and a positive school climate.
- Our relationships are important – and we will work hard to preserve them.
- A plan and a purpose are important for everything we do.
- That we must assess and evaluate progress carefully – without taking our eyes off the ultimate goal of student learning.
- By taking the time to know our students as people, we can motivate them to learn.
We have a talented, hard-working, and effective team in place who understand the important role that beliefs, behaviours, attitudes and interactions play in the success of any school year. With your support and encouragement, our students and teachers are sure to enjoy a year of purpose, productivity – and fun.
Thank you for a great beginning. We look forward to seeing you all at next week’s “Parent-Teacher Evening”!
Ric Anderson, Head of School